2.20.2013

Sleep is overrated...

So I'm tired. 

Yesterday I woke up at 4am and left my house by 4:40 to go to work. For whatever reason, I always get the gift of being stuck behind someone going out-of-this-world SLOW on a one-lane road that I am on for 12 miles. There are many parts of this road that the speed limit is 50mph. For whatever reason, everyone likes to go 30mph, the ENTIRE WAY. I am fortunate that I go in when I want (yes, leaving at 4:40am is what I want, shockingly enough). It's not like I am going to be "late," but every minute later I get there is a minute later that I will be staying. I leave at that hour so I will miss traffic... yet somehow that 12 miles hates me every time (Twice I have gotten behind someone with only one headlight (not the same car). I understand that you can't see well on a darkly lit road. Either get your headlight fixed or pull over and let me pass you. Don't go 12 miles an hour and slam on your breaks every time another car comes around the bend. For the record, one of them did finally pull over to let me pass. It just happened to be 11 miles into the trip). 

Anyway, work was fine. I have realized that I must have the type of face that people want to tell me utterly random stories right when I am trying to leave or need to do something. I didn't really want to hear about the woman in the nursing home who would fly around corners in her wheelchair to grab any old man in sight, pull down his pants, and do sexual things to him. The staff would have to tell both the woman's son and the families of the men she would do this to. You're welcome for the mental image. 

So all day I am sore in random places and I couldn't figure it out. Then, (how could I forget) I realized it must be from my very first Zumba class I took on Monday night. Now I was a dancer before (until I was 12), so it's not like I don't know how to move to a beat... but I have never felt more like a white girl in my life than I did for that entire hour. Great workout, super fun, and no one really cares how they look. Everyone is just frantically trying to make sure they have a view of the teacher and are making every effort to keep up. I'm pretty glad that I couldn't see myself in the mirror. 

So I left work last night around 10:30pm, and I needed to stop by the store to get baby wipes (since I ran to the store on Monday night for the sole reason of getting wipes and that is the only thing I didn't get). I spend far too long deciding which wipes to get and making sure the ones I am getting are the ones that are actually on sale. You'd think by the third child I would be a pro at this. I am a pro at nothing when I am at the end of a 17 hour work day. I go get in line, and of course the check out person has to tell me all about how they had no idea that there were stores dedicated to medical scrubs (I'm telling you, I must have an aura), and he had to whip out his phone to show me pictures of all of the different ones he thought were cute (no idea why he took so many pictures of scrubs when he works at a grocery store). I am not a rude individual (that may be debatable at times), so I smile and act interested while I stand there holding my keys and baby wipes, waiting to leave the store. I finally get home (around midnight) and I am starving. Like stomach growling out loud, I won't be able to fall asleep if I don't eat something type of hungry. I don't want to eat too much, so I just grab a little something to tide me over. Now it is a very delicate balance when you work for that long of how much coffee/caffeine to have to stay awake/function/drive home vs needing to be able to fall asleep at some point. I clearly went way overboard with the caffeine yesterday, because despite my utter exhaustion, I could not fall asleep. By 3am I am out-of-control starving again with a massive headache, irritated at the unsmoothness of one of my toenails that keeps snagging on the sheets, thinking of things I need to put on my to-do list. Toss and turn. Can't get comfortable. The last time I remember looking at the clock was 3:43am. 

All of a sudden, I am ripped out of sleep by the most horrid noise in the universe. Let me back up. When Matt and I first got married, he used this particular alarm because he is a very heavy sleeper. Now there are other alarms that have the awful beeping noise, but this one is to a new level. He would press snooze so many times (as I would wake up terrified) and I seriously could not handle it. I decided that for both our marriage's sake and my heart health, I would always set my radio alarm for whenever he needed to get up and just wake him up. We have been married for 6 1/2 years, and although there are times I am irritated that I have to wake him up, ANYTHING is better than that alarm. So, after being awake for 15 minutes shy of 24 straight hours, FINALLY falling sleep, I am woken by THAT alarm noise at 6am. I think I jumped three feet in the air and my heart was pounding out of my chest. (Another major reason that I was so anti the alarm from hell is because it would put me in the most foul mood when I woke up because it is such a traumatic experience). I realize that I was not home when Matt went to bed, but I kindly (or not so kindly) told him to leave me a note in the future and I will set my alarm. So, fortunately for everyone, I was awake early enough to write this blog (with cuddlebug Layla in my lap). Unfortunately for me, I feel like I have been hit by a bus to a new level. I may beat my coffee record today... not that I really even know exactly what it is because usually when I need to drink that much coffee, I'm not really focused on counting. I have dinner plans tonight with a wonderful friend that I refuse to cancel because I am really looking forward to it. Sleep is overrated... right?? 


1 comment:

  1. Did I mention that you're my hero??? Girl I totally relate to feeling incredibly white at Zumba class - but it's so fun, right? And you're right, nobody cares how you look :) Have fun tonight at dinner - you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete