9.04.2013

First week home and the Alligator Farm...

So I completed my first full week home with the girls. (Well, it seemed like a bit longer than a week because Matt was out of town all last weekend so it sort of felt endless). He asked me one night if I missed work at all. My response? "H-E-double-hockey-sticks NO." For me, the week has been far harder than going to work but far more rewarding. Last Monday, I felt a totally renewed sense of excitement and optimism. The fall always gives me the feeling of a fresh start. I am awkwardly obsessed with school supplies, I am so over the heat and sweating of the summer, I can't wait for scarves and boots (but no snow), and I look forward to the structure that school and a schedule can give. 

So I have absolutely no idea how I am going to do it when all three are in school. Mornings are going to be interesting. Summer is NOT a morning person... she may be the slowest moving child when it comes to getting ready. Pulling teeth does not quite describe it. One good thing is that once she is ready, she is bouncing out the door to go to school. Last Wednesday she saw some neighborhood kids starting to walk to the bus stop and she ran out the door and forgot to say goodbye to me! Don't get me wrong, I am SO happy she loves kindergarten... but at least give me a quick kiss! Matt followed her down and reminded her that she missed that very important step, and the poor girl felt so bad she begged him to drive her back home. The other two have had a hard time adjusting to life without their ringleader all day. Layla has been especially devastated, and if you missed my pictures from this week, here they are: 




I mean seriously, it was getting a little ridiculous. You'd think she was never coming back. I am so glad they love each other so much... but without their leader, they need far more attention because they aren't so occupied. Layla starts preschool three days a week on September 9, which I think will be great for her and good for me and my little Livi nugget to get some one-on-one time. 

Moving on... Matt went to Flagler College in St. Augustine, Florida. It is about 45 minutes south of Jacksonville, and is the most adorable, gorgeous, awesome place. It has cute shops, hole in the wall bars, totally random restaurants with AMAZEBALLS fish tacos (seriously, I was anti-fish tacos until I went there. Now it is all I think about as soon as we arrive). He played baseball there so we try to go back for alumni weekend every year we can. The last time we were down there was April 2012. A must-do if you ever go is to go to the Alligator Farm. It is more than an alligator farm, it is like a mini-zoo with all these crazy reptiles, birds, etc. You are able to take different pictures with different animals, and so we took the same picture with the baby alligator that we did last year. Here are the different versions: 


April 2012

August 2013

Kind of amazing the difference 16 months makes. Livi was a baby. Summer went from being terrified to actually touching it. Layla went from being totally into it to a terrified mess (although she was in one of her moods that even Dora the Explorer herself wouldn't be able to get her out of). I went from post-baby blah to 25lbs lighter (thank goodness). 

So I purposely dressed Layla in the same outfit (which she still fits into easily, my little peanut) because she made a little friend last year that I wanted to do another repeat pic with. Last year, she ran back and forth in front of the glass of the the Kimodo Dragon and it just ran along with her and was actually licking the glass trying to get her. So that became Layla's "friend." 


April 2012

August 2013


What a difference. This year we also took pictures down with the giant turtles and were able to pet them. My mother-in-law wanted to get a picture with all of her granddaughters, but additional arms were needed to I went down with them. 



Feeding time is cool/disgusting to watch (imagine rat tails hanging out of their mouths): 






Sidenote... who wears a wedges and a silky romper to an alligator farm? Oh that's right, Summer does. She looks adorable but not so appropriate for the environment :o) 

Two of my brothers-in-law paid to do the true alligator experience. They went down into that crazy pit and had pictures taken. Matt asked if I would do that and I totally will next year. 


It's definitely a cool place that they girls love (well, sort of), and every time we go, we are most definitely going to keep up the family alligator shot. I still can't get over Layla's face. 

Happy Wednesday! 


No comments:

Post a Comment