Another Baby Shower, A Non-Surgery, and Red Vomit...

I can't wait until the day that I begin a blog post saying, "This week was completely calm and nothing eventful happened." Actually I can wait, because that would mean I am dead. And I would prefer to stick around for longer. 

I hosted a baby shower at my house on Saturday for my sister-in-law who is having TWIN boys. I did the old fashioned paper invitation which I think turned out absolutely adorable, in my humble opinion (I cut out my personal info, sorry!): 

While decorating, we did have one laugh-so-hard-I-am-on-the-floor-possibly-peeing-my-pants moment. I had ordered a bunch of decor, one item being an extremely large (supposely) ball to hang. This is how it opened up: 

I mean... yes. My mind goes there. I die. I apologize for my immaturity. But that is stinkin hilarious. 

So then I had like 85 people at my house. Fear not, I had help from my sister, mom, mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and friend Liz. I did get lots of comments on how much everyone enjoyed the open house style of it. A bit unconventional, but I thought it would be so much nicer than sitting there and having an already uncomfortable pregnant gal open 23049838 gifts and try and ooh and aah over them all. It just isn't fun for anyone. The gifts are always appreciated, but let's be serious. It is torture for the opener and the viewers. It was really just a nice time for everyone to be able to visit and hang out with no pressure or games. Definite success. 

In the busy-ness of the day, I failed to take pictures, so I will post them at a different time. The only one I did take was the absolutely amazeballs chalk drawing that my sister did on my new addition above the entertainment center. After redoing my gallery wall and hanging the massive clock, that space was asking for something. I painted a big rectangle of chalkboard paint to appease my decor ADD. I can write anything I feel like up there, whatever the season. It was the perfect spot for this: 

Ridiculously adorbs, right? My sister is out-of-this world talented.

I was an utter lazy mess on Sunday and Monday from sheer exhaustion. One hilarious moment occurred while I was vegging on my sister's couch. The two little ones happened to get into some...er... womanly items she had gotten recently (For free actually. Yes, she gets those ridiculous CVS deals). I die. Again. 

We also spent every waking moment possible OUTSIDE because it was finally WARM ENOUGH!!!! 

So despite all the absolute craziness of the weekend, nothing beats the mania of yesterday. It was a downright horrid morning. Let me begin.

Yesterday we had a procedure scheduled for Layla. Apparently the enamel on several of her teeth did not form properly either in utero or if she had a high fever as a baby. She basically has zero protection on these teeth, which is quite a problem. So she needs two molars capped and due to several factors, they said it would be best if she was put under general anesthesia to get it done. I initially hesitated, but decided it was better than her being terrified of the dentist for the rest of her life (like I am). She actually told me a few days after her most recent visit that she wants to be a dentist when she grows up. Score for one dislike that I am not passing on to my children! In all seriousness, I am selfishly happy that it wasn't something that I failed on... you never want to be the mom that doesn't brush your children's teeth well enough. But then I feel utterly horrible that this is happening to her and there is nothing we can do about it except monitor her teeth. 

Anyways, we were scheduled to get there at 11:30 with the procedure occurring at 1:30. She could have clear fluids (popsicles included) up until 10:30am but nothing else. I prepped her for the no-eating situation but she was utterly thrilled to be able to have a popsicle in the morning. (She had her pre-op appointment at the pediatrician last Thursday where they noted that she was congested but said there was no issue with it for anesthesia at that time. She also puked on the way home from there. Fun times. I swear over 20 minutes and we are done-zo). So yesterday we tried to have a leisurely, relaxed morning to calm her nerves. That idea sort of failed when I received two emails from PayPal that were my receipts for iPads I apparently purchased that are being shipped to England. Sorry Brits. I will not be buying you $1000 worth of iPads. I dealt with the resolution center, fraud department from my credit card, etc. While I am writing this, one charge has been resolved. The other is still being investigated. 

At 9:55am, my phone rings and I see that it is the hospital is calling. I am already nervous (being an RN, I dislike the knowledge I have of possible complications) so I answer it quickly. It is the pre-op RN asking me where I was. I panic, explaining that we were told not to be there until 11:30. (Sidenote... I am uber paranoid about time and being late to important things. I swear Matt and I get in a fight pre-weddings because I am psycho about being on time. I think it is the epitome of rudeness to be late to a wedding. He doesn't understand the passion). She then asks me if I am on my way to the hospital. I re-explain that we were told to be there at 11:30. She sort of explained that they are trying to move people up and can we get there by 11? With my heart racing from the initial panic, I say yes. She then asks me about the food/water thing. I told her Layla had apple juice and a popsicle around 9:30am. She then starts chiding me on how I wasn't supposed to do that. I calmly explain, yet again, that we weren't supposed to be there until 11:30. Our original time was 1:30, and we were told that she could have clear fluids until 10:30. Basically, it is not my problem that you are annoyed she had juice. I am following our pre-op instructions to the T. You could tell she was annoyed when she just sort of hung up exasperated. Now all previous experiences with pediatric nurses have been phenomenal. I didn't know what was up this particular one's butt. I was nervous, Layla was nervous, usually all people going into this type of situation are nervous... be nice. Don't be annoying and stress me out further please. 

Anyways, I hurry us up to get out the door. Matt had arranged to stay home from work to watch Livi. We are on our way, just a mere 1/2 mile from the hospital, and the inevitable happens. Red vomit. All over her puppy, jacket, pants, AND the floor. Awesome. I disregarded my note to self from last week like an idiot. We pull over into a random parking lot for her to throw up a tad more on the pavement. My last two baby wipes later, we are back on our way with red stained pants. We check in and get rushed back where I meet the lovely nurse from the phone. No additional friendliness exuded her as I had been hoping. She is doing her thing and I inform her of Layla's congestion. I explain that it had been a non-issue before and the pediatrician had completely cleared her, but she just seems pissed off. She hears some congestion in her lungs and I am apologizing because obviously had I known this, we would have rescheduled... but I purposely try to be fully mommy versus RN mommy in these matters. Sidenote- I didn't tell her or anyone I was an RN. It didn't really come up and she was already making me feel like an idiot. I just wasn't sure what to do at this point. She calls the anesthesiologist down (a totally sweet and lovely man) to evaluate Layla who then determines he wants to postpone the procedure. 

Let me clarify a few things. I have ZERO issues with them postponing. Did it suck? Yes. Was it a complete waste of time? Of course. Would I rather them postpone than have a complication occur during anesthesia? I don't need to answer that. I just wish in this situation that the nurse had been a bit kinder and not so blaming and weird. I have been congested this past week because of the weather change and allergies. Layla had not been coughing or acting sick in any way. She had a stuffed up nose. End of story. Don't treat me like I am a mom who doesn't know when my kid is sick. I am with her every waking moment. I know when she poops or sneezes. Then the nurse tells me that I should "really take her to the doctor because she doesn't sound good." Thank you. So very much. I am officially on defense mode. Which is not where I like to be. Just be pleasant and happy. That is all I am asking. You should be rainbows and smiles and an Elmo stethoscope. I have always been of the opinion (which is a reason I went back to school) that nurses can truly either make or break a situation. They can make it so so SO much better, or so so SO much worse. I am not making this woman out to be the worst nurse ever. She just wasn't very nice, warm, or friendly in a department that I think requires those attributes in spades. 

After we were told we could go (and she made it abundantly and very rudely clear that she took no part in rescheduling and just call my doctor), I literally start racing to the car to try to get out within the free parking window. I am down to minutes here, so I am holding Layla and running. Of course there is a massive, awkward traffic jam as everyone is trying to clamber for my parking spot... and I miss the cut-off by three minutes and have to pay $3. Clearly not the end of the world, but just par for the course. Oh, what do you know. Just a 1/2 mile from HOME, Layla is throwing up again. Oh, what do you know. I forgot to mention that (a different) nurse gave her a RED popsicle before we left. Because that is awesome. And now more red vomit is all over my car. I am pulled over and holding her teeny little shaking frame trying to throw up in the grass. My poor baby. She was such a trooper. And I really really don't know what to do about this car sickness thing.

The procedure is now rescheduled. The most important thing is Layla is still untainted by it all. I will have to say, probably top 10 worst mornings though. So very happy it is over. And so not looking forward to attempt #2. 

Happy Thursday!! 

1 comment:

  1. I had my gallbladder removed, went home and was in worse pain, so I was checked back into the hospital. Before they found out what was wrong (they knicked the bile duct during surgery and my abdomen was filling with bile), the nurse told me I was faking cause she had her gallbladder out and she was fine. I do not understand how these horrible people become nurses. Don't you become a nurse because you're a caring person?! If you're an asshole, what would attract you to the nursing field?? Anyway, the moral of the story is, that lady is an asshole, and Layla will be okay because you're an awesome mom.